OWARE TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION

OWARE TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION
Playing Oware on Break. Bolgatanga N/R Ghana

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

VOS Oware Math & Africa in the Classroom

May 18, 2010
Toronto, Canada

Indeed the summer 2010 Toronto Oware season has begun and I have my work cut out for me to maximize the possibilities until I travel again in October.

My first presentation took place at the annual Visions of Science Symposium (VOS)www.vosnl.org May 8th at Ryerson University. The symposium featured presentations and activities in the area of math, science and technology. MACPRI's presentation was entitled: Oware Math and Africa in the Classroom. This was MACPRI'S first time as a feature at the symposium and we will definitely participate again next year. A small but appreciative group came out for my workshop and I was not disappointed because 10 more people left my presence knowing how to play a new game with more history than the age of all the people in the room put together. I am grateful to Francis Jeffers, the Symposium organizer, for having the vision for science and for allowing me to participate. I look forward to next year's symposium and wish VOS much success. For anyone interested, VOS runs science clubs all over the GTA.

May 28th - 30th, the MACPRI team will be at the Carassauga Festival Africa Pavilion for the second year conducting the Pavilion's Oware/Aware/Awale tournament, signing up participants for the 2011 Toronto International Oware Tournament and selling African Art.

Last year's Africa Pavilion Oware tournament was well received and prices were given to the tournament winners by People of Motherland Culture, organizers of the Africa Pavilion. As a part of the Annual Carassauga Festival, the Africa Pavilion is well attended and Olga and Georgette (organizers) do a great job to give the 1000s of people who pass through a little taste of various aspects of Africa. For more information on the Africa Pavilion and the Carassauga Festival log on to: www.carassuaga.com.

If any other events and opportunities come where you can come out to play or learn to play Oware prior to the Carassauga Festival I will be sure to share it.

Peace,
Brother Oji

No comments:

Post a Comment